Hunter Winstead is an experienced litigator who represents clients in financial and commercial disputes, corporate bankruptcy and insolvency matters. He has represented companies, creditors' committees, post-bankruptcy trusts, individual directors and officers, and other individuals and entities in insurance, banking, and other types of litigation.
Hunter’s expertise in insurance coverage litigation and disputes encompasses commercial general liability, directors’ & officers’ liability, errors & omissions and professional liability policies.
Hunter’s recent and current insurance-related representations have included:
- Representing corporate clients in insurance recovery efforts relating to claims and losses arising from environmental contamination, including clean-up costs for CERCLA and Superfund claims.
- Representing a pharmaceutical company and certain of its current and former directors and officers in securing insurance proceeds to fund a $75 million settlement of a shareholder derivative action.
- Representing a pharmaceutical company in insurance recovery efforts relating to claims and losses arising out of securities class action litigation.
- Winning a jury verdict worth more than $40 million and a favorable appellate ruling for a food manufacturer to obtain insurance for bodily injury claims arising from an alleged product contamination.
- Representing a company in pursuing cyber and property insurance coverage for liability and losses arising from a state-sponsored cyber-attack.
- Representing an international law firm in insurance coverage disputes relating to lawsuits and investigations involving allegations of malpractice and fraud.
- Representing a company that conducts employee background checks in an insurance coverage dispute relating to claims and losses arising out of the company’s alleged failure to comply with various federal and state privacy and reporting statutes.
- Representing and counseling corporations in insurance-related litigation, arbitration and mediation related to claims and losses arising out of exposure to asbestos.
Some of Mr. Winstead's other commercial and financial litigation representations have included:
- Representing the official committee of borrowers in a chapter 11 case filed by one of the country's ten largest home mortgage originators.
- Representing a chapter 7 trustee in litigation to avoid a bankrupt debtor’s preferential transfers to creditors.
- Representing a senior secured lender in single asset real estate bankruptcy case involving a multi-family property.
Hunter maintains an active pro bono practice at the firm. In addition to serving as an associate trustee for the Washington Lawyer’s Committee for Civil Rights and Urban affairs, he has represented a fair housing advocacy group in several matters in which he has successfully secured the defendants’ compliance with the accessibility requirements of the Fair Housing Act and the Americans With Disabilities Act.
Hunter is also a principal at Reneo Consulting LLC.
- 2003 — J. D., University of Virginia School of Law
- 2000 — B.A., University of Virginia
- District of Columbia
- Washington Lawyer’s Committee For Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, Associate Trustee 2008 - 2014; Trustee 2014