Scott Gilbert brings over 30 years of high-profile experience and innovation in complex multiparty dispute resolution to his legal practice. Scott is often at the forefront of cutting edge initiatives, settlements and litigation involving insurance, products liability, commercial torts and bankruptcy. He consistently demonstrates his strong leadership and unique legal strategies through successful representation of clients on controversial issues such as asbestos, silica, IUDs, breast implants, heart valves, pharmaceuticals, natural disasters and environmental contamination, as well as commercial fraud and management and professional liability. These matters have involved billions of dollars in claims.
An internationally recognized innovator in the field of strategic alternative dispute resolution (ADR), Scott has crafted creative and workable solutions to some of the most complex legal challenges in mass torts. For example, he has served as:
- The primary policyholder negotiator and drafter of the Wellington Agreement, one of the largest insurance settlements in US history.
- The founder of and counsel to the Center for Claims Resolution.
- The primary insurance negotiator and strategist for numerous mass tort defendants, as well as bankruptcy trusts, bankruptcy claimant committees, and groups of individual tort claimants.
Scott also has served as:
- An expert witness in litigation and in insurance arbitrations in the United States and England.
- A mediator in complex commercial disputes and an arbitrator in American Arbitration Association (AAA) proceedings.
- An adjunct professor at the University of Chicago Law School and Duke University Law School, where he presently teaches Legal Strategy and Insurance Law.
Scott is also the managing director of Reneo LLC.
- 1979 — J.D., University of Chicago
- 1975 — B.A., Northwestern University
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- Served on the Board of Directors of the Asbestos Claims Facility
- Founder and Editor, Chicago Forum, 1978-79
- Recipient of the Center for Public Resources Award for Innovation in Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Highlighted in Fortune magazine as "the nation's premier attorney for asbestos defendants seeking reimbursement from reluctant insurance carriers"
- Recipient of the B'nai B'rith International Commitment to Justice Award, 2009
- Chambers USA Guide - Leading policyholder insurance attorney in Washington, DC, 2005-2014
- Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2006-2014
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers, 2007-2015
- Ranked in The Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers, 2008-2012
- Named to The BTI Client Service All-Star Team for Law Firms 2012
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- Member, Board of Directors, Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless
- Member, Board of Directors, Legal Aid Society of the District of Columbia