Richard Shore focuses on developing and implementing creative solutions to help clients overcome company-threatening or otherwise overwhelming losses and liabilities. He has played a key role in many cutting-edge initiatives, including the first major asbestos non-products coverage case, novel insurance settlement structures and groundbreaking cases involving the intersection of bankruptcy and insurance issues. His work involves strategic advice, litigation, alternative dispute resolution, and complex, multi-party settlement negotiations.
Richard has represented a broad range of clients and has helped his clients recover well in excess of a billion dollars. His clients include Fortune 500 corporations; small and medium-sized businesses; non-profit entities; business executives; debtors, trustees, creditors’ committees, and future claimants’ representatives in bankruptcy cases; and post-bankruptcy trusts, among others. He has been involved in a wide range of coverage matters, including mass torts; environmental damage; first-party property damage and business interruption; oil spill losses; D&O, E&O, and professional liability; advertising injury; personal injury; fidelity and crime losses; title losses; cyber losses; crop losses; residual value losses; and claims against insurance brokers. Richard has substantial experience in domestic and London insurance insolvency matters. He has been retained as an expert witness on coverage matters and has testified in support of numerous insurance settlements. He has advised clients facing significant liabilities on global strategies for dealing with these problems.
Richard speaks around the country on insurance topics including the ongoing impact of the weak economy on insurers and the resulting challenges for policyholders. Richard has developed an engaging seminar on settling disputes that draws on Hollywood films and New Yorker cartoons, among other unlikely sources, to illustrate successful negotiating techniques and strategies. He has been quoted on insurance matters by media outlets including USA TODAY, CNNMoney.com, and Business Insurance magazine. Richard also has written articles on coverage and ADR issues that have appeared in a variety of print and electronic publications, including Forbes.com.
Richard is a director at Reneo Consulting LLC. Richard also serves on the board of directors of The China Fund, Inc., a management investment company focused on China.
- Settled a claim against a state insurance guaranty fund for the largest amount ever paid by that guaranty fund on a single policyholder claim.
- Secured a ruling in federal court litigation requiring a D&O insurer to produce all of its attorney’s work product in the underlying case (on the basis that the attorney was acting primarily as a claims handler rather than a lawyer); settled the case shortly after the ruling was issued.
- Helped several insulation contracting companies recover several hundred million dollars each in insurance proceeds to pay asbestos claims.
- Represented several multi-tort defendants in successful pre-packaged chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization cases.
- Secured a ruling requiring an insolvent insurer to estimate and pay future tort claims and ultimately settled with the insolvent insurer for more than $30 million.
- Negotiated a “three-corner” settlement in which the client sold an agreed payment stream from its insurer to a third-party investor in return for a lump-sum payment to the client in excess of $50 million.
- Assisted the directors and officers of a telecommunications company in securing payment of insurance proceeds for breach-of-duty and other claims to facilitate an overall settlement of those claims.
- Led Gilbert LLP’s efforts to recover insurance proceeds to fund a client's bankruptcy reorganization plan in a case in which our firm was singled out for praise by the bankruptcy judge at the conclusion of the confirmation hearing.
- 1987 – 1988 — Keio University, Tokyo, Japan
- Monbusho Fellow
- 1987 — J.D., Columbia University Law School
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- 1984 — B.A. (economics), University of Maryland
- Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Cherokee Nation
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Selected as a Washington, DC Super Lawyer, 2013-2017