Peter Meringolo is an experienced litigator, who represents businesses, entrepreneurs, and start-ups in litigation matters in a wide array of areas throughout California, including: breach of contract; denial of insurance coverage; breach of fiduciary duty; corporate mismanagement; trademark infringement; copyright infringement; fraudulent transfer; attorney malpractice; and misuse of trade secrets. Peter has significant and substantial complex litigation experience, representing clients in state and federal courts and in various ADR proceedings. Representative matters include:
- Representing a corporate client in Federal Court in a lawsuit seeking insurance coverage for liabilities incurred out of business activities in China.
- Representing the Trustees of a §524(g) asbestos settlement trust in litigation against state guarantee fund seeking coverage for asbestos liabilities following the insolvency of two insurers.
- Integral part of trial team in state court lawsuit on behalf of bankrupt asbestos manufacturer in a fraudulent transfer lawsuit against former parent corporation; successfully recovered $575 million for the benefit of victims of asbestos exposure.
- Lead counsel for defendant multi-million law partnership and employment dispute in state court; reached favorable settlement on the eve of trial.
- Lead counsel for plaintiffs in Federal court class action on behalf of a group of participants in employee stock option plan; obtained a favorable settlement through mediation.
- Lead counsel in action to dissolve corporation in state court on behalf of a minority shareholder and board member in an action alleging breach of fiduciary duty and mismanagement;
negotiated a favorable settlement.
- Led pre-litigation negotiations for software company with insurance carrier for coverage under cyber insurance policy for alleged claims of data breach; obtained a commitment of coverage.
- Represented life sciences company in dispute with its Directors & Officers insurers which resulted in the insurers agreeing to provide ongoing defense and indemnity on novel coverage issues.
- Led pre-litigation negotiations with software company with respect to a contractual
indemnification clause; secured indemnification for investment bank with respect to a Canadian lawsuit demanding over $65 million in damages.
- Represented a former Harvard student, one of the original creators of the Facebook source code, in malpractice claim against attorney who drafted agreement assigning the code; achieved pre-litigation settlement through mediation.
- Represented Bay Area artist and community-minded muralist in copyright infringement matter against real estate developer; developer improperly used a photo of mural to market high-end condos in Hayes Valley; achieved pre-litigation settlement.
- Represented up-and-coming fashion designer and clothing in copyright infringement matters against large corporate retailers; achieved pre-litigation settlements.
- Represented clothing brand as a plaintiff in a trademark infringement case on behalf of Tommy Bahama; won two summary judgment motions, and argued and won the appeal before the Ninth Circuit.
- Prosecuted breach of contract claim on behalf of a group of clients who started San Francisco business operations for an accomplished hedge fund manager; reached favorable pre-litigation settlement through mediation.
Peter also is a dedicated community servant. For example, during his career, Peter has volunteered as a judge pro tem, served on the Board of Trustees of the Dominican School of Philosophy & Theology in Berkeley, CA, and assisted people in obtaining asylum, domestic violence restraining orders, and VA benefits for PTSD.
- 1998 – J.D., Hastings College of the Law
- 1991 – B.A., University of Notre Dame
- District of Columbia