Michael’s practice focuses on complex civil litigation and dispute resolution, and includes representation of policyholders in both federal and state trial courts with respect to a wide range of insurance coverage matters. These actions involved claims relating to various types of commercial general liability and property coverage, including environmental damage, asbestos liability, and 9/11 liability, as well as disputes involving insurance brokers.
Before joining the firm, Michael was an associate at a large Delaware firm where he focused primarily on litigation in Delaware state and federal courts. In addition to representing employers in all aspects of labor and employment law, Michael worked closely with Gilbert attorneys in various insurance coverage matters.
Prior to attending law school, Michael taught high school in Central Virginia for five years.
- Representing a large safety equipment manufacturer to obtain tens of millions of dollars from insurers for mass tort liabilities;
- Representing property owners to obtain insurance coverage stemming from 9/11 attacks and lawsuits brought by clean-up workers.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2007
- Journal of Law and Politics, Lile Moot Court Competition, intern - United States Attorney's Office for the Western District of Virginia
- University of Richmond, B.A., 1998
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Delaware
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Delaware State Bar Association, Former Chair of the Labor and Employment Section
- American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Co-Chair of Asbestos Subcommittee
- Super Lawyers, Delaware Rising Star - 2012-2016
- Washington, DC Super Lawyers, 2018