Jonathan Cohen’s practice focuses on the prevention and resolution of complex, multiparty disputes involving insurance, product liability, product recalls, and supply-chain issues for policyholders and others seeking coverage. Jonathan also represents clients in managing their business risks and advises clients with respect to insurance and contract-related aspects of their risk management strategies. Jonathan brings a unique perspective to client counseling, drawing on both his legal experience and his Ph.D. in organizational sociology to advance his clients’ business approach to addressing risk.
Jonathan also regularly represents civil rights organizations and individuals in high stakes appellate litigation. He has filed amicus briefs for civil rights organizations in twelve U.S. Supreme Court cases, as well as represented individuals and civil rights organizations before the Fourth and Ninth Circuit U. S. Courts of Appeal and state appellate courts.
Prior to entering private practice, Jonathan served as a law clerk for Judge Ferdinand Fernandez of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Additionally, he assisted Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg of the U.S. Supreme Court in preparing for her Senate confirmation hearings.
Jonathan is also a principal at
Reneo Consulting LLC.
• Secured a favorable appellate ruling for a food manufacturer to obtain insurance for bodily injury claims arising from an alleged product contamination, and, on remand, worked with co-lead counsel to win a jury verdict worth more than $40 million.
• Secured a favorable arbitration ruling for a food manufacturer to obtain product contamination insurance for an adverse publicity event.
• Represents leading food manufacturers in evaluating product recall risks and negotiating and renewing language in product recall and insurance policies.
• Negotiated insurance settlements for asbestos trusts, claimant committees and a future claimant representative in numerous asbestos-related bankruptcies and post-bankruptcy proceedings, securing more than $3 billion in insurance recoveries for the benefit of the creditors.
• Argued insurance-related issues in a U.S. District Court in an appeal in an asbestos bankruptcy case involving more than a billion dollars in insurance assets.
• Advised a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company with respect to insurance claims for various pharmaceutical and asbestos-containing products.
• Led a multi-year analysis project to identify and protect against business risks for a mid-sized food manufacturer including advising the CEO and CFO regarding risk mitigation strategy, drafting indemnification agreements for the client’s suppliers, and working with brokers to negotiate cutting-edge insurance policies to address product contamination, recall and other risks.
• Secured defense and indemnity coverage for food manufacturers for lawsuits claiming that the companies failed to warn consumers of the dangers of potentially harmful chemicals allegedly contained in their products as required by California’s Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986 (Proposition 65).
• Served as an expert in a large diacetyl-related bankruptcy regarding valuation of insurance assets.
• Served on the Product Contamination Insurance Working Group for the United Fresh Produce Association.
• Filed amicus briefs on civil rights issues in twelve U.S. Supreme Court cases and numerous state and federal appellate courts.
- University of Chicago, Ph.D. (Sociology), 1997
- University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Editor-in-Chief, Berkeley Journal of International Law (formerly International Tax and Business Lawyer), 1994 – 1995
- Co-Chair, McBaine Moot Court Competition, 1994 - 1995
- University of Chicago, M.A.(Social Sciences), 1989
- University of Chicago, B.A., 1989
- Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2012-2016
- Selected as a Washington, DC Super Lawyer, 2014-2017
- Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2017
- D.C. Circuit Judicial Conference Pro Bono Service Standard Honor Roll, 2016
- Board of Trustees, National Park Trust, 2010 - present
- Co-Chair, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Subcommittee of the Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee of the ABA Section of Litigation, 2010 - present
- National Advisory Council for the Asian American Justice Center, 2008 - present
- Board of Editors, The Corporate Counselor, 2007 - present
- Black belt in Tae Kwon Do
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eastern District of Michigan