Emily’s practice focuses on insurance recovery litigation and settlement.
She represents policyholders in both federal and state courts with respect to a wide range of insurance coverage matters, including bodily injury and property damage, food contamination, asbestos, and directors’ and officers’ coverage. Emily also advises post-bankruptcy trusts in the recovery of insurance proceeds.
In addition, Emily has an active pro bono practice. She played a key role in securing the release of Alan Gross, an American jailed in Cuba from 2009 to 2014 for his work on a U.S. Government project to increase Internet access in Cuba’s Jewish community.
- Litigated and negotiating for post-bankruptcy trusts to successfully obtain insurance coverage for predecessor companies’asbestos-related and other liabilities.
- Represented a class of policyholders against a major life insurance company accused of violating its contracts.
- Advised private equity firm regarding insurance recovery litigation and settlement strategy in anticipation of leveraged buyout of industrial equipment maker.
- Represented Alan Gross and family in suit against United States and government contractor for negligent management of project that led to his arrest, and in suit against contractor’s insurer for recovery under wrongful detention policy.
- Secured coverage for insurance claims arising from allegedly tainted peanut butter on behalf of a Fortune 500 food company.
Prior to joining Gilbert LLP, Emily served as a law clerk to the Honorable Ronald L. Buckwalter, UnitedStates District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- 2009 - J.D., University of Michigan Law School
- 2005 - B.A., Hamilton College
- cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Washington Lawyers' Committee For Civil Rights and Urban Affairs, Associate Trustee 2013 - Present
- Firm Coordinator, Legal Aid Society for the District of Columbia Generous Associates Campaign, 2013 – Present
- Selected as a Washington, DC Rising Star (Super Lawyers), 2015-2016