Daniel litigates in both state and federal court on behalf of policyholders seeking recovery under directors and officers, professional liability, fiduciary liability, commercial general liability, title, and other lines of insurance. Daniel also advises clients regarding risk management and insurance recovery strategies that extend beyond litigation. Daniel’s practice includes representation of corporations, individuals, and post-bankruptcy trusts. Prior to joining Gilbert LLP, Daniel litigated securities fraud class actions and shareholder derivative lawsuits at a law firm in New York.
- Securing D&O coverage for costs to defend and resolve investigations and subpoenas by government agencies (such as the SEC and the New York Department of Financial Services) on behalf of various clients (including an investment firm, a regulatory consulting firm, and individual directors and officers).
- Representing pharmaceutical company in securing insurance coverage from numerous insurers for a wide variety of claims, including ERISA and securities class actions, derivative claims, and FCPA investigations.
- Securing over $40 million from professional liability insurers to fund post-bankruptcy trust’s payment of bodily-injury claims.
- Securing coverage for national real estate company under title insurance policy covering multiple apartment properties.
- Securing recovery valued at approximately $27 million for a class of elderly policyholders against a life insurance company accused of violating its contracts.
- Securing defense coverage for various food manufacturers in connection with lawsuits alleging violations of California’s Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986 (Proposition 65).
Daniel also maintains an active pro bono practice. Recent pro bono matters include representing clients in D.C.’s housing courts, defending subrogation actions brought against individual clients by automobile insurers, and co-authoring amicus curiae briefs for the U.S. Supreme Court and other appellate courts.
- 2010 – J.D., Columbia University School of Law
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar,
- Columbia Business Law Review
- 2005 – B.A., Columbia University, Columbia College
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- 2014-2016 Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll