Barry Buchman focuses his practice on the representation of policyholders in complex insurance coverage matters. He handles matters involving general liability coverage for toxic tort and other product liability claims, directors’ and officers’ (“D&O”) coverage for, among other things, shareholder class actions and internal and external investigations, errors and omissions (“E&O”) coverage for claims such as consumer class actions and professional liability suits, and coverage for “first party” losses such as property damage, business interruption, and losses on leased and financed assets. Barry also handles matters involving highly-specialized types of insurance such as corporate-owned life insurance, residual value insurance, and garage liability insurance. He regularly publishes and speaks on insurance coverage issues, and he has been quoted in leading publications such as the Wall Street Journal, the National Law Journal, and Business Insurance.
Barry has litigated cases both in federal and state trial and appellate courts, and in the context of private arbitration. He also routinely resolves matters through bilateral negotiations and through mediation, sometimes without the client ever needing to commence coverage litigation. Over his career, Barry has secured over a half-billion dollars of insurance coverage for his clients.
In addition to his insurance coverage practice, Barry also represents companies in complex commercial disputes, such as those involving allegations of commercial disparagement and other business torts.
Barry has developed particular niches in the private equity and automotive industries. His clients include one of the world’s leading private equity firms and one of the largest diversified automotive companies in the world.
Barry is also a principal at Reneo Consulting LLC.
- Represented a Fortune 100 company in massive litigation, against nearly sixty insurance companies, over coverage for hundreds of thousands of underlying asbestos and silica bodily injury claims. The case, which involved a dispute over hundreds of millions of dollars in coverage, resulted in numerous favorable rulings for the client after a several-month trial.
- Represented one of the nation’s largest automotive companies in a residual value insurance case, which involved pursuing coverage for nine-figure losses on a portfolio of several hundred thousand leased vehicles. The case culminated in a five-week arbitration hearing, and resulted in a nine-figure settlement just before the end of trial—one of the largest known settlements of its kind.
- Advised a large private equity firm on the insurance aspects of a potential acquisition of a portfolio company during the diligence phase.
- Represented a large company in pursuing D&O coverage for several securities class actions arising from an Initial Public Offering. The matter resolved successfully when the client’s insurers agreed to fund most of the global settlement of the underlying litigation without the need for coverage litigation.
- Represented an automotive company in pursuing E&O coverage for a consumer class action arising from the collection of deficiency balances on auto loans. The matter resolved successfully when the client’s insurers agreed to fund most of the underlying settlement without the need for coverage litigation.
- Currently representing a large company in ongoing litigation over D&O coverage for underlying shareholder class actions arising from the sale of the company to a private equity firm.
- Currently representing a client in pursuing coverage for sexual misconduct claims.
- Currently advising a “start-up” business on placing an insurance coverage program.
- Currently representing a Fortune 100 company in addressing its rights under various corporate-owned life insurance (“COLI”) policies.
- 1997 - J.D., American University, Washington College of Law
- summa cum laude
- 1994 - B.A., Indiana University
- With Distinction
- Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2016 - 2018
- Chambers USA Guide - Leading policyholder insurance attorney in Washington, DC, 2012-2017
- Washington, DC Super Lawyer, 2013-2017
- Ranked in The Legal Media Group’s Guide to the World’s Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers, 2016